I hope you’re well and keeping safe given what’s been happening lately. It’s crazy that such things like shootings by the police, mass killings by suicide bombers and terror as a whole is still happening. It seems like everyone else but the perpetrators want peace.
I’ve been very disheartened by these recent events and had to find ways to distract myself from the mindless violence. I’ve cried, cursed and heck even thought about retaliation or boycotting by hitting these institutions that have the power to bring about this change where it hurts the most- their wallets. But real change would only arise out of collective action and it needs to start already!
However, this post isn’t about that. What it’s about is the ways in which we can bring some happiness to ourselves while we continue to get on with our everyday lives despite all that is happening around us. Of course this is much harder for those personally affected by these injustices and I pray that we can all find some levels of peace within ourselves somehow.
1.Unplug and be still- This might be difficult for some because we live in such a fast paced world where everyone is always on their phone, either talking, texting, Instagramming or snapchatting away. But set all your gadgets aside and do something you haven’t done in a while and engage with it wholly. It could be taking a stroll in the park, reading a good book or simply basking in the sun and day dreaming. Find somewhere beautiful and take it in- the air, light, sounds of nature and breathe. Invite peace within yourself and be still in the moment. It’s meditative and calming.
2. Create joyful rituals- Whether it’s getting up early in the morning to do yoga, exercise for a couple of minutes, read a book or whatever before you begin your day, you should develop a ritual that makes you happy and keeps you grounded. Create that thing you can always look forward to after a stressful or hectic day.
3. Water your friendships- We can easily get wrapped up with our own life goals or that we begin to neglect our friends who’ve seen us at our best and worst. In these times, we need all the loving we can get from good friends, so call that friend you’ve been meaning to. Better yet, set up a date and go somewhere even if it’s just to catch up or do something fun. Having a fit of laughter is always a good balm for the soul.Having a fit of laughter is always a good balm for the soul. Click To Tweet
4. Set your standards- It’s one thing to be nice and another to be a doormat. It’s best to set standards for yourself and be firm with the values that you stand for. Some people are simply looking for whom to use for their own benefit and it can be quite upsetting when you find yourself in a situation that you hate, but feel tied to following through with. Be steadfast in your beliefs and don’t let people walk all over you.
5. Avoid negative people or situations- Quite obvious huh? Choose people you want in your life wisely. There’s already lots of aggression outside of your walls, why invite it in?
6. Don’t be that negative person- Also self explanatory I would think! Some people hurt others because they are hurting themselves, but this is a treacherous cycle to perpetrate. So please don’t be that vibe killer, party pooper or mean Felicia. Be kind to others and love as God loves you.Be kind to others and love as God loves you. Click To Tweet
7. Forgive yourself and others- No one is perfect, yet we can hold onto resentment; and guess what? Being resentful hurts no one more than it hurts you! Let go and let God is what I believe. Yes, it can be hard especially when it comes from someone close to you, but moving on and forgiving makes you feel lighter and gives you peace of mind. Also, it can be harder to forgive ourselves as we’re constantly reminded about the situation, but the sooner you do and learn from it, the better you’d be. Remember metamorphosis? Yeah, shed that dead skin and become anew.Let go and let God Click To Tweet
8. Permit yourself to feel whatever you’re feeling- If you feel down and want to sulk, let it happen. I think it’s always best to go through the motions and come out feeling better with new perspective than to push it away only to find yourself crashing time and time again. Every emotion is valid. You have as much right to cry as you do to laugh. Let your feels be, you’re only human.You have as much right to cry as you do to laugh. Click To Tweet
9. Be selfish- Do one thing today because it makes you happy.
10. Be of service- Find ways to give and share with others. If you ask most people, they’ll tell you they’ve got big dreams of setting up something to help lots of people, but what about the now? We get caught up with what we want to do in the future when we have the means and resources that we forget that we can give right here, right now with whatever we’ve got even if it’s just our time. Don’t wait for tomorrow, it’s not guaranteed. Help in the little ways that you can, whether it’s helping someone carry a heavy bag down the stairs, talking to someone who looks distraught, getting involved in a fundraiser, giving as little money as you can afford for a cause, signing a petition or helping a friend with their work… the possibilities are endless.
This is obviously not a cumulative list of self-care tips, but in doing one of these, I hope you begin to feel better and live an enriched life filled with inner peace, happiness and well wishes for others.
P.S Did you notice how I changed the outfit from casual to outing by just switching up my shoes?
What did you think about my self-care tips and what would you add to the list? Sharing is caring, remember? 😉
If you enjoyed this post and it’s helped you, please share with others and consider donating 🙂